The 3rd Annual Dan River Autism Awareness 5k will be held Saturday, April 26, 2014 on the Riverwalk Trail at Anglers Park in Danville, Virginia. The park is located just off the 58/29 Expressway at the end of Northside Drive. Get driving directions here.
You can pre-register through Monday, April 21, 2014. You can also register on the day of the event.
- Pre-register online today!
- Pre-register using a printed form
- Pre-register at The Brick Running & Tri Store (410 Main Street, Danville, VA 24541)
- Pre-register at All Care Home Health (242 NorDan Drive, Danville, VA 24540)
- Pre-register at Martinsville Physical Therapy & Industrial Rehab (812 E. Church Street, Martinsville, VA 24112)
- Pre-register at Center for Pediatric Therapies South Boston (1438 Seymour Drive, South Boston, VA)
- Register in-person on the day of the event, at the event
You can register as an individual or with a team to run or walk in the Dan River Autism Awareness 5k. Learn how to start or join a team here.
Registration fees for runners and walkers are due at the time of registration. If you want to use your fundraising efforts to count towards covering your registration fees, then we recommend that you start fundraising at least one month prior to the event. You can register up to the day of the event. Read our fundraising tips and ideas here.
If you do not want to run or walk, but still want to participate, you can register to volunteer here.
- 5k Run (run and/or walk the 5k timed course)
- 5k Competitive Walk (walk the 5k timed course)
- Walk for the Cause (walk the 1k or 5k untimed course)
- Kid’s 1k Fun Run (12 years and under; run the 1-mile timed course)
Course map coming soon.
Packet Pick Up Options
- Early Packet Pick Up: Thursday, April 24, 2014 from 10am until 6:30pm at The Brick Running & Tri-Store (410 Main Street, Danville, VA 24541).
- Event Day Packet Pick Up: Saturday, April 26, 2014 from 8:00am until 9:30am at Shelter 21 at Anglers Park. Get driving directions here.
Event Day Schedule
- 8:00am until 9:30am: Event Day Registration and Event Day Packet Pickup
- 9:30am: Kid’s 1k Fun Run starts (line up at 9:15am)
- 10:00am: 5k Run, 5k Competitive Walk, and Walk for the Cause starts (line up at 9:30am)
- 10:00am until 12:00pm: Children’s Activities at Shelter 21 at Anglers Park
- 10:30am until 12:00pm: Celebration with Awards Ceremony, Silent Auction, and Refreshments
Running and Walking Awards
Participants in the 5k Run, the 5k Competitive Walk, and the Kid’s 1k Fun Run will be eligible for awards based on finishing the course. Awards include:
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the 5k Run
- Awards to the the top 3 finishers in each age group in the 5k Run
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the 5k Competitive Walk
- Awards to the top 3 5k Competitive Walk finishers in each age group
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the Kid’s 1k Fun Run
- Participant ribbons to all finishers in the Kid’s 1k Fun Run
Awards will also be presented to those who go above and beyond to support the fundraising efforts of the Dan River Autism Awareness 5k. Learn about fundraising with a team here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the event, and how do I get there? The event will be held on the Riverwalk Trail at Anglers Park in Danville, Virginia, 24540. The park is located just off the 58/29 Expressway at the end of Northside Drive. Get driving directions here.
What are the parking accommodations? There will be parking in the vicinity of the race and within short walking distance. We urge you to consider car-pooling, and to arrive early to find a good parking spot.
How early should I arrive on event day? This is a large race. We are expecting 400 to 500 runners and walkers. Tou need to plan ahead to arrive early in order to get your packet, t-shirt and a good parking spot, If your child is participating in the Kid’s 1-Mile Fun Run, please arrive by 8:30am. If you are participating in the 5k Run/Walk or the Walk for the Cause, please arrive by 9:00am.
Can I run or walk with a baby jogger? Baby joggers are allowed but we ask that you start your race at the back of the pack.
Can I run or walk with my dog? Dogs are not allowed on the course, and dogs cannot run or walk with you. Please keep in mind that we expect many children to attend our event.
Can I reserve a shirt in a certain size? When you check the box next to a t-shirt size on your registration form, you are not reserving a shirt; you are helping us plan how many shirts we need to order in each size. We make every effort to order enough shirts in each quantity. If it is important that you get a shirt in your size, please come to Early Packet Pick Up or arrive early on event day.
Can I purchase extra t-shirts? Yes, you can purchase extra t-shirts when you pre-register online. You can also purchase extra t-shirts on event day, while supplies last.
Can I get a refund if I register but don’t run or walk?
No. we plan the race based on the number of registered participants, so once you have registered we cannot offer you a refund. If, however, you register and do not run or walk, you may still pick up your race packet and shirt and join us in the fun.
Can I run or walk with headphones or ear buds? We are not restricting the use of headphones or ear buds.
What will the weather be like? Good question! The weather in southern Virginia is variable in the spring, but you knew that! The average temperature for late April in our area is about 57 degrees – ideal running weather. The Dan River Autism Awareness 5K will take place come rain or shine!
Will there be bag-check facility? There is no bag check. Please plan accordingly.
Will there be restrooms? Yes, Anglers Park offers an indoor restroom facility. Porta potties will also be available at the start/finish line.
Can I take a shower after the race? Yes, but it will have to be at home as there are no facilities available at the race!
Will there be an after-event celebration? Oh, yeah! We’ll have light refreshments, a silent auction, kid’s activities, an awards ceremony, and of course, education about autism. The after-event celebration is open to the public.
Where are the best locations for spectators? You can wait at the start/finish line to cheer on participants.
How is the race timed? Participants in the Walk for the Cause will not be timed. Participants in the 5k Run, 5k Competitive Walk, and Kid’s 1k Fun Run will be timed. As participants cross finish line, the finishing time will be recorded by volunteers from The Brick Running & Tri-Store. Awards for the top finishers will be presented after the race. All timed results will be available on this website by May 1, 2014.