I will be joining the Dan River Autism Awareness 5k’s planning team as a Co-Director. My role this year is to support the team captains with meeting fundraising goals, registration, gaining corporate sponsorships. Another part of my role will be raising autism awareness through facilitating individuals and families in sharing their experiences of the Spectrum. I will be organizing some community activities raising awareness through art, continuing on what Emily Holder began last year with the puzzle piece windows downtown!
The walk is important to me because of my direct experience working with children on the autism spectrum. I stumbled upon the field of Applied Behavior Analysis after receiving my bachelor’s degree in Psychology with a minor in Fine Art. I moved to Nashville, TN where I initially became aware of the autism spectrum during my internship at the Brown Center for Autism. The students there showed me the joys of celebrating each new skill they would master in therapy. After my internship I accepted a position at Building Blocks Center for Children with Autism, moving me to Danville, VA. Over the past two years, I have gained experience providing 1:1 Applied Behavior Analysis and have started coursework to receive my BCBA.
I am excited to continue working with the children and families I’ve grown to love so much. I am happy to have the opportunity to incorporate art and autism as we raise awareness together this year.
I am your point of contact if…
- You are an individual with autism, a parent, teacher or other community member who is serving as a team captain
- You have questions about how to register
- You have questions about the Autism Education Fund
- You would like to share you story about autism on our blog
My contact information:
You also catch me at the 5k headquarters during my office hours:
- Mondays, 1pm-5pm
- Thursdays, 8:30am-12:30pm
Latest posts by Rachael Capri (see all)
- The Hughes Center sponsoring the 2015 Dan River Autism Awareness 5k! - March 31, 2015
- “Hello” from Rachael! - January 14, 2015