The Dan River Autism Awareness 5k is a run/walk held annually in April on the Riverwalk Trail at Anglers Park in Danville, Virginia.
Pre-Registration is now closed. Day-of Registration will begin at 8am on Saturday, April 23rd. To move faster through the line, you can complete a paper form in advance. Paper forms will also be available at the registration tent.
Download the paper registration form here.
- 1k Fun Run: Run and/or walk our flat 1k course. Open to kids age 12 and under, or anyone who is unable to run/walk in another event. Registration fee includes timing bib, water and snack after the race. Option to purchase t-shirt. Starts at 9am. Line up at 8:55am.
- 5k Run: Run and/or walk our flat and fast 5k course to compete for prizes by gender and category. Registration fee includes bib with timing chip, commemorative t-shirt, and goody bag. The finish line offers water and food to replenish you after the race. Starts at 9:30am. Line up at 9:15am.
- 5k Walk: Take a brisk walk on our flat and fast 5k course. Walkers who jog or run will be disqualified. Registration fee includes timing bib/chip, t-shirt, goody bag, water and snack after the race. Starts at 9:40am. Line up at 9:30am.
- Untimed Walk: Take a leisurely walk on our flat 1k or 5k course. Registration fee includes, t-shirt, goody bag, water and snack after the walk. Starts at 9:45am.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is packet pick up?
If you registered as an individual, you may pick up your packet on Thursday or Saturday.
If you registered as part of a team, your team captain will pick up your packet for you.
If you are a team captain, you should pick up a box with packets for your entire team on Thursday or Saturday.
- Early Packet Pick Up: Thursday, April 21, 2016 from 10am until 6:00pm at The Brick Running & Tri-Store (410 Main Street, Danville, VA 24541).
- Event Day Packet Pick Up: Saturday, April 23, 2016 from 8:00am until 9:30am at Anglers Park. (150 Northside Drive, Danville, VA 24541)
What time should I arrive? What time does everything start?
If you are pre-registered, we suggest arriving between 8:45am and 9:15am on the day of the event. If you are not yet registered, we suggest arriving between 8am and 8:30am to register on the day of the event.
- 8:00am until 9:30am: Event Day Registration and Event Day Packet Pickup Begin. Shuttle begins running from River Park Drive to Anglers Park.
- 8:45am: Registration for the Kid’s 1k Fun Run ends. Line up begins.
- 9:00am: Kid’s 1k Fun Run starts. Bike Ride starts
- 9:15am: Line up begins for the 5k Run and 5k Walk.
- 9:15am: Awards Ceremony for the Kid’s 1k Fun Run
- 9:30am: 5k Run and Walk starts, Walk for the Cause line up
- 10:00am: Untimed Walk for the Cause begins
- 9:00am until 11:30am: Children’s Activities and Entertainment
- 10:30am until 11:30am: Awards Ceremony for the 5k Run and 5k Competitive Walk
- 12:00pm: Last shuttle leaves Anglers Park to return to River Park Drive
Are there awards?
Individuals registered for the untimed Walk for the Cause do not receive bibs or awards because the Walk for the Cause is not timed.
Participants in the 5k Run, the 5k Competitive Walk, and the Kid’s 1k Fun Run will be eligible for awards based on finishing the course. Awards include:
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the 5k Run
- Awards to the the top 3 finishers in each age group in the 5k Run
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the 5k Competitive Walk
- Awards to the top 3 5k Competitive Walk finishers in each age group
- Awards to the top 3 male and top 3 female finishers in the Kid’s 1k Fun Run
- Participant ribbons to all finishers in the Kid’s 1k Fun Run
Awards will also be presented to those who go above and beyond to support the fundraising efforts of the Dan River Autism Awareness 5k. Learn about fundraising with a team here.
Where is the event, and how do I get there? The event will be held on the Riverwalk Trail at Anglers Park at 150 Northside Drive, Danville, Virginia, 24540. The park is located just off the 58/29 Expressway at the end of Northside Drive.
What are the parking accommodations? There will be parking in the vicinity of the race and within short walking distance. We will also have overflow parking on River Park Drive, with shuttle service from there down to Anglers Park. We strongly urge you to consider carpooling, and to arrive early (between 8am and 9am) to find a good parking spot. The shuttle service will run continuously between 8am and 12pm.
How early should I arrive on event day? This is a large race. We are expecting 600 to 1,000 runners and walkers. Plan ahead to arrive early in order to get your packet and a good parking spot. If your child is participating in the Kid’s 1-Mile Fun Run, please arrive by 8:30am. If you are participating in the 5k Run/Walk or the untimed Walk for the Cause, please arrive by 9:00am.
Can I run or walk with a baby jogger? YES. Baby joggers are allowed, but we ask that you start your race at the back of the pack.
Can I run or walk with my dog? NO. Dogs are not allowed on the course, and dogs cannot run or walk with you. Please keep in mind that we expect many children to attend our event.
Can I reserve a shirt in a certain size? When you check the box next to a t-shirt size on your registration form, you are not reserving a shirt; you are helping us plan how many shirts we need to order in each size. We make every effort to order enough shirts, and enough shirts in each quantity. If it is important that you get a shirt in your preferred size, please come to Early Packet Pick Up or arrive early on event day. We order t-shirts in March, prior to the event, based on an estimation of the attendance at the event.
Can I get a refund if I register but don’t run or walk?
No. We plan the race based on the number of registered participants, so once you have registered we cannot offer you a refund. If, however, you register and do not run or walk, you may still pick up your race packet and shirt and join us in the fun.
Can I run or walk with headphones or ear buds? Yes, we do not restrict the use of headphones or ear buds.
What will the weather be like? Good question! The weather in southern Virginia is variable in the spring, but you knew that! The average temperature for late April in our area is about 57 degrees – ideal running weather. The Dan River Autism Awareness 5K will take place come rain or shine!
Will there be bag-check facility? There is no bag check. Please plan accordingly.
Will there be restrooms? Yes, Anglers Park offers an indoor restroom facility. Porta potties will also be available at the start/finish line.
Can I take a shower after the race? Yes, but it will have to be at home as there are no facilities available at the race!
Can I view the course before the race? You are welcome to arrive early to walk or jog the course. View a map of the course here.
Will there be an after-event celebration? Oh, yeah! We’ll have light refreshments, kid’s activities, an awards ceremony, and of course, education about autism. The after-event celebration is open to the public.
Where are the best locations for spectators? You can wait at the start/finish line to cheer on participants.
How is the race timed? Participants in the Walk for the Cause will not be timed. Participants in the 5k Run, 5k Competitive Walk, and Kid’s 1k Fun Run will be timed. As participants cross finish line, the finishing time will be recorded by volunteers from The Brick Running & Tri-Store. Awards for the top finishers will be presented after the race. All timed results will be available on this website by May 1st.